Thursday, January 8, 2009

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."
-- Henry Ford

Guess what? I've made it to Day 7 of the cleanse! I was shooting for 10 days, but decided today would be my last day. Why?

Well there are some good reasons, and probably some not so good reasons. One, Sunday is my mom's birthday, and I would really like to enjoy the family dinner with them, instead of sitting there drinking my water. Probably not a great reason, but whatever. Two, I miss eating, but I miss eating good food. I could careless about the crap food that people have around, but last night found myself drooling over broccoli at the grocery store. I think this is a good indication that I'm ready for food. I'm not just hungry, I'm hungry for good food.

So do I recommend what I just did? Yes! Will I do it again? Yes, planning to in April after the Easter Holiday.

It's definately not easy, and I honestly thought it would get easier as time went on, but I found as the days grew on, I found it harder and harder. Yesterday night (after the broccoli drooling incident), I really wanted to give up and chow on some carrots and broccoli, but I didn't.

But I got to thinking today (as I'm still craving veggies and fruit), something is wrong here if I am craving the good stuff, and not allowing myself to have it. If I was craving bad stuff like I was for the first couple days (hot dogs, ect), then yes, I should stay on longer, but good stuff? My body wants to good stuff, who am I to deny it?

So whats life after the cleanse like? Well the first couple days are easing yourself back onto solid foods. The book says to use orange juice, so I'm going to be drinking watered down OJ for breakfast tomorrow, and maybe full strength for lunch, and then onto some organic veggie broth for dinner. If all goes well with that, its gonna be full strength OJ for breakfast Saturday, Broth for lunch and vegetable soup for dinner! Yum! I can't wait.

The Sunday will be a return to solid food, but I will definately be taking it easy!

One thing I did not like about the cleanse? The lack of energy for running. I'm sure it would've been better had I been running consistently and not been trying to start again on top of cleansing, but I didn't like the way running felt on it, I didn't feel like I had anything for the body to burn off.

Weight loss? So far 6.2lbs in 6 days. I'm expecting a little more by the time I get back to solid foods, at that point the scale is going to be put away, and I'm going to go back on Weight Watchers, in loss mode for 3 weeks until my next weigh in, which should put me under my goal weight, which will be good. Then it will be back to maintaining.

I feel the cleanse helped me get my willpower back, and get all the crap I ate at Christmas time out of my body. I'm going to cleanse again in April.

Anyways, I hope everyone is doing well, I'm going to be posting more in the new year! Happy 2009!

5 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

It's been an interesting experiment and I'm glad it worked for you.

Chellie has Issues said...

I can see how it would be hard running. Food is your fuel and without it it's like driving a car on empty. I'm glad you're craving good food. Sounds like your body got off of its sugar need. I don't think I could do it. I did Dr. Phil's 2 week diet thingy where you ate very little and no carbs. I thought I was going to die. I was so lethargic and STRUGGLED to do any kind of aerobics. I'm proud that you did it for 7 days!

Fatinah said...

I could never do a cleanse....good for you for going at it for so long - but I think you're right - if you're dreaming about eating good foods then you should!

Carolyn said...

What does the cleanse consist of?? Do you not eat ANY food for 5 days??

Congrats on the loss! That is fantastic!

Erica Young said...

I was going to ask the same thing about the cleanse.