Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Weight Memory

So this is a topic that I keep meaning to touch on, but never seem to remember. Weight Memory. We've all heard about it before. But what do you guys think?

I never really believed that your body had a memory of weights which you were at for an extended period of time previously (some articles I've read have said this can happen if you were at a weight for over a year). But recently, with my weight loss, I've hit the weight which I was in High School. I was at this weight throughout High School, and even my first couple years of college. My body was comfortable here, I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted, and with a little activity, my weight never moved from the 150 mark. I was happy with that.

When everyone was talking about this weight memory, I was thinking what a bunch of hoopla, if I want to lose weight, I can. Cutting calories, upping activity, I'll lose weight. And I did. I did it successfully. I have lost almost 20 pounds now. But, I seem to be stuck. I think it's beyond a plateau. I think my body is happy here. I think 150 is where is was meant to be. And now I'm thinking that is due to the "weight memory". I was at this weight for so long, my body is like "hey! I really liked being here before, I think we're gonna hang out here!". Never believed it was possible, now I do.

It's not that I don't enjoy the weight I'm at. I'm a heck of a lot healthier and happier than I was 7 months ago when I started weight watchers. I feel thin, I've been told I look good, and some of the issues I was clearly having from overeating have disappeared. But I don't know that I'm ready to switch to maintenance mode. I know that my body is happy here, and I am too, but darn I want to see that goal of 140! I know I'll see it eventually.

But what do you guys think? Is weight memory a myth? Have you guys noticed this in your journey to lose weight? I'd love to hear opinions.

Also, on another note, I will post my Light Zucchini Bread Recipe, as it's to die for, and I've had requests, so expect a post later with that :)

Hope everyone is having a fabulously healthy and happy day!

5 comments:

L said...

I've heard of it too & I kinda believe in it (sorta like horoscopes lol). You have to decide for yourself if you want to stay where you are. . .otherwise, keep going for that goal. Also, I think unconsiously you feel comfortable at the weight and eat/exercise differently than when you're trying to really lose.

marie said...

i was never "thin". as a child i was always overweight and at the age of 13 i was already in plus size clothes. I don't think my body "remembered" a certain weight and is going to hold on to it, otherwise i'd be over 200lbs for the rest of my life. I'm thankful I never gave up and worked hard to get down to where I am today but I think i will be forever saddled with that extra fold of skin at the bottom of my abdomen. THAT my body will remember.

Fatinah said...

I've never heard of weight memory before. interesting theory.

Unknown said...

i've heard of it and wouldn't be surprised if my body said, "okay, 160 it is"... i've been here forever and will keep doing my thing regardless - if i lose, i lose but if not - then so be it - if my body wants me to be at this weight, nothing (besides starving myself) is going to help... :o)

Kathy said...

I agree with Jodi...I think the ideal weight for you comes when you are satisfied with how your body "feels", don't want to give up any more points, and are happy with the amount of activity you are getting. I don't know about the memory thing, although I have heard of it. If you are "maintaining" at your present weight, what will you do differently for the "maintenance" part of your plan? I've never gotten there and have no idea what WW suggests. I always figured I'd reach maintenance when I quit losing and would then just continue to do what I've been doing.