Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it's
dressed in overalls and looks like work"
~ Thomas Edison

I'm a firm believer in the mantra "if it were easy, everyone would do it!", and I think the quote above kinda puts that into perspective. But then again, I don't think any of us are here because we think it's easy (we may have thought it might be at the beginning!), we all understand this weight loss thing takes hard work (heck, this running thing is the same way!). We all understand that there are days we are going to be in our groove, and then there are gonna be days when we feel like giving up, but the important part is, in the long run, looking at the overall picture, we stick with it.

So little bit of a confession, since hitting maintenance on Sunday I've been weighing on a daily basis. I would like to not weigh on a regular basis, but right now, I think it's kinda necessary. I have to know how my body is reacting to the amount of food I am feeding it. I want to find a good number of points that will let me maintain. The good news is, so far, I'm doing good, so I might be where I need to be! But truthfully only the results over the next couple weeks will tell the full story. But I don't want to not weigh for a month, and gain 5lbs over that month because I was eating too much, so that plan isn't feasible yet.

So I've been thinking alot about this running thing. I set a goal of running in a 5k, but I think I need to set some more tangible goals. Or something that working harder will produce results. So here are a few goals for the upcoming months, I think I will add a sidebar eventually.

1. Run in my first 5k, just finish it, but give it all I have.
2. On my long runs, get to where I am holding a steady pace of under 12 min/mile, right now I'm at about 13:25 on my long runs.
3. On my shorter runs, break into the 11 minute/mile range.
4. Run over 20 miles a week (this week I will be running 16).

So there are a few goals. I'm looking forward to trying to beat some of those!

Eating has been good, I do find that I'm not hungry for all the points I have now, lol. I just feel like I get so much, and it's only 4 points more some days! But I will get used to it. Right now, I'm eating alot of fruit because of the season of course, so that's more filling and lower point.

I have started to bring a few of the things back into the house that I didn't buy when I was trying to lose, mainly Peanut Butter. I have issues with Peanut Butter, anyone who's read my blog for while knows this. But Peanut Butter is an important part of a runner's diet, so I bought a small jar. And so far, it hasn't been calling to me. I'll keep you posted on that.

I have a four mile run planned tonight, really don't feel up to doing it, as my allergies have been bothering me, but I'm gonna go, because I know it will make me feel better. Then some crunches and a Jambalaya for dinner. YUM!

Anyways, I better get scootin, but have a great day guys!

9 comments:

WWSuzi said...

It sounds like you have a great plan and your doing well with it!!
Good idea putting your exercise goals down ;)

new*me said...

i can see how the daily weigh in might be necessary for awhile. I love PB too :) I switched to the natural stuff for the family and they love it

Unknown said...

i was going to say the same thing - i think PB is great but definitely do the au-natural kind... it may take some getting used too but it's so much better for you than say, jif or peter pan! :o)

Kathy said...

I think you are totally right to weigh daily now. It is the only time that I do believe in daily weighing. Don't want pounds to sneak up on you cause they're too hard to lose again and getting everything balanced out is touchy in the first few weeks as you add things back in. I'm sure you'll do fine...I don't know anyone with your determination!

TB--Milwaukee said...

Maintenance is a great time to weigh daily. I try not to let it bother me when I'm up/down or crazy weights.

Anonymous said...

great idea about the sidebar!

love,

a sister in really bad allergies. what's up with that?!

Anonymous said...

oh and Im a big fan of the PB2 powder.

seen it?

Carolyn said...

Wow! You are doing amazing on the running front! Keep it up!
I think weighing yourself frequently is a good idea until you find out where your body fits into the whole maintenance picture. :)

Tara said...

I have PB issues too. I finally gave in and bought some PB2 powder. There is only one word. AWESOME! I like how you can make it as thin or thick as you want, and I can put in some splenda and it takes like jiff. Congrats on the running! I cant wait to be up to that point :)