Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"He who finds diamonds must grapple in mud and mire because diamonds
are not found in polished stones. They are made."
-- Henry B. Wilson

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

I really intended to post again on Sunday, although I got busy and didn't have time, and Monday, I was off work, so I didn't get around to it, then yesterday, I was busy catching up! So now, here I am!

To answer some questions;

One, I started moderating comments because I was getting spam, and I hated it, but then it kinda got to be a pain to publish all the comments, so I just put word verification on now, hopefully that helps.

As for Tech, I think things are on their way out on that one. It's kind of shame, but I'm not upset. He just doesn't seem that into me, and truthfully, I don't think I'm that into him. Plus he's got a few flaws that I don't know whether or not I'm willing to deal with, since they are personality flaws (like being overly critical). But on a high note, I met another guy, he's an electrician, so I will just refer to him as that! He seems nice enough, we'll see where it goes, and I will keep you guys posted.

Eating has been pretty successful. Sunday was a challenging day for me, but I think I handled it well. My parents have this all you can eat brunch that they go to sometimes on Sundays, and it used to be my most favorite place to go before losing weight. And honestly, while I was trying to lose, I wouldn't even dare go near it, because it would tick me off that I couldn't eat more than like one thing. But I had a couple bites of everything I wanted when I went. And when I left, I wasn't stuffed, I felt satisfied and comfortable. Later in the day my mom made my favorite homemade meal, BBQ Meatballs and Mashed potatoes. I wasn't terribly hungry since I had a big breakfast/lunch, so I had a small (very small) helping of mashed potatoes, and 4 meatballs, and some sweet corn. I left there feeling full, but not sickly stuffed. I opted out of eating the rest of the day. I think I did well.

I think it's the big thing with maintaining, is to learn days like my Sunday are ok, once in awhile. Are they ok every sunday, or every day? Nope! But food isn't the enemy, food is good, and I enjoyed what I ate!

For some reason this week, pretzels have been calling my name. I don't have any idea why. There is a large (like sam club sized) jar of pretzel sticks on the table here at work, and they have been calling to me. I've had some, but I'm eating them plain, and I've been limiting them, so I think I'm doing ok.

I'm reading Intuitive Eating right now, and I'm really enjoying the book, and I'm trying to put into practice the stuff in it. So far, I really do think it's a great way to become a "normal" eater.

One thing that really hit home with this book was the talk of how when you restrict yourself from certain foods, you want them even more, and are more likely to binge on them. Lets look at example.

My friend Peanut Butter. Me and Peanut Butter had a good relationship before WW. I was fond of it, but it was one of those things that I could take or leave, and if I did eat it, it was rarely something I over ate. Now enter WW's, where PB was high point, and I avoided it, because to me it wasn't worth the points. All of a sudden, it became a forbidden, and it was something that if I started on, I usually ended up overeating. I just ended up not keeping it in the house anymore, because quite frankly, I couldn't deal with it.

Now that I'm maintaining, I've been allowing myself a small amount of PB on a regular basis. Usually this small amount is about 1/2 Tablespoon with some pita bread. If I feel like it everyday, I have it, if not I don't. And you know what? PB has lost it's Binge potential for me, it no longer has that "hold" over me. I can have it whenever I want, so therefore I don't have to eat it like I will never eat again.

This is a common theme of intuitive eating. Now that someone is pointing it out, it's making sense. I promise to update more about the book as I learn more.

In other news, running has been going good. I got in a 5.5 mile run on Sunday, 4.5 on Monday and tonight I'm planning on doing another 5. It's been so nice out, and I'm so enjoying running this time of year! I can't wait til it cools off even a little more!

I DVR'd Biggest Loser last night, and I can't wait to watch it! Although it's been ruined by a few blogs I've read today :( Oh Well, I still like watchin it!

Anyways, I think I've been chatty today, but I hope everyone is having a healthy and happy Wednesday!

4 comments:

TB--Milwaukee said...

Glad I haven't read those "ruined" blogs yet. I better stop now. I DVR'd it too. May have to go back to the old VCR so I can watch it while exercising.

Love my Peanut Butter. I eat it everyday!

Kathy said...

I like to dip pretzels in yellow mustard!

Fatinah said...

woops - I could have been a "ruining" blog - sorry!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate, this is a great post. Congratulations on the control you showed Sunday to only have smaller portion sizes and to acknowledge when you were full.

I would be careful of the pretzels as they contain a lot of salt and that can lead to you storing water and becoming bloated. I agree with you on the peanut butter as well, if you try and eradicate something you love from your diet completely you will only end up wanting it more. Again its better to just have it in smaller portions.

I love peanut butter as well but I try and use the excuse that it has protein in it and 'good' fat ;)